Ref:Gartner EA Tool Magic Quadrant 2012
Casewise products are positioned one of the best tools for Enterprise Architecture by Gartner, Forrester, and Ovum. Most impressive of all in the reviews is from Ovum which states that “fully extensible repository”.
As said you can define your meta-model and you can facilitate the suite upon that meta-model of yours. Even more it comes its own meta-model PolDot. You can use it directly, or customize it, or build from scratch of your own. PolDot model is based on Zachman framework. On this point the practice of meta-model phase is follows. The users of the suite take 2-3 days of course of suite education. After that the consultants guide the modeling experts to build the meta-model about 10 days.
Eventhough I don’t have a hands on experience on Casewise modelling environment, according to the representation, the modeler can update the meta-model by himself/herself on the run. In Mega (another prominent Enterprise Architecture tool), if you update meta-model, Mega should be re-compiled accordingly for the customized meta-model by the experts of the Mega experts.
Casewise main focus is on Business Process Modelling and Analysis. It has an simulation environment which enables users to see the bottlenecks and effects of a new process or a change or a re-engineering of the process. For the activities and situations, the probability of an event can be defined. This focus of the tool on business processes, might have an impression on the customers for enterprise architecture tool some reluctance to the Casewise. According to my experience, enterprise architects from IT have a tendency to get more features of portfolio managements on all levels of their IT systems.
Other points ;
- What if meta-model need to be updated, after repository is structured a while after?
- TOGAF and Archimate said to supported, but there is no direct support. For instance you cannot say instead of PolDot, start with Archimate model and customized it. If you want to produce TOGAF default documents for different perspectives, you should define that documents manually.
- Casewise uses Oracle and MSSql as data storage.
- BPMN notation can be used to model business processes.
- Casewise modeler flyer states that, “Are the activities we are doing, and the investments we are making in the direct support of our business strategy and objectives?” Since my PhD thesis is highly related to this statement, I inquire how do they answer this question. First glance it is only visualization and linkage of the objective and activities by an experts and unfortunately there is no quantitative approach to validate that model.Ref: Casewise