Most of the things are straightforward in IBM Data Studio. Two points can be considered which are system related configurations that you should work with your system administrator.
1. Debug Authorization: By default ordinary users do not have the privilege to debug on DB2 system. The error will have the following signature;
SQLCode: -552 SQLState: 42502 User does not have the privilege to perform operation set client debuginfo.
2. WLM Environment: Debug operations are executed on a WLM environment and by default it is WLMENV1 and most probably specific system has different names for WLM environment. System administration will guide you for definition of WLM environment.
One time insert of your system specific WLM environment isn’t suffice for all time debugging and you would reset it every time you start debug. So insert following lines to your stored procedure code for WLM environment definition.
WLM ENVIRONMENT FOR DEBUG MODE DB2XXXXX
ALLOW DEBUG MODE
Software Ag has acquired Alfabet recently. Software Ag already had Aris. As a result two competing systems are in one owners portfolio now. Aris Enterprise Architect and Alfabet. Alfabet focussed on portfolio management of the organization. As a result IT originated experts has the tendency to focus on features of portfolio management, which has pointed earlier in the review of Casewise. It is usability and visualization is very high. Dashboard features will enable the high level IT management to control the IT and guide IT for the next steps to go forward. The customer portfolio of Alfabet is very impressive, from finance to logistics, production to transportation. Most impressive of all is Microsoft. A software company that plans its IT through Alfabet. It might be assumed to be an exchange but Alfabet uses Microsoft technologies to run its software. All Enterprise Architecture shows dependencies between objects of the organizational assets, the most visual and frienly one is Alfabet Planning IT, I know of (others were IBM System Architect, Mega, and Casewise).
So Alfabet visualize enterprise architecture related information in a very good way. In addition to that, I think what is more important think is it constitutes a collaboration between all stakeholders and it keeps the underlying repository alive. This can be one of the important reason if you compare ARIS Enterprise Architect and Alfabet Planning IT.
- BPMN can be used. There is no process simulation. Generally 30% of features are available with respect to Business Process Management.
- Fully TOGAF compliant.
- Customized meta-model can be used. Complex meta-model updates need application rebuild.
- Alfabet Integration Framework enables the Planning IT to be connected to any Project Management software, which company already have.
- Planning IT uses MS SQL Server and MS Information Server and runs only on Internet Explorer at the time being. But it is said that on March 2014, html 5 version will be used and the system can be used in a wide range of browsers.
The remark for now is Alfabet Planning IT in conjuction with ARIS BPM is one of the best choices for Enterprise Architecture tool.
Magic Quadrant for EA Tools 2011
Ref:Gartner EA Tool Magic Quadrant 2011
Magic Quadrant for EA Tools 2012
Ref:Gartner EA Tool Magic Quadrant 2012
Casewise products are positioned one of the best tools for Enterprise Architecture by Gartner, Forrester, and Ovum. Most impressive of all in the reviews is from Ovum which states that “fully extensible repository”.
As said you can define your meta-model and you can facilitate the suite upon that meta-model of yours. Even more it comes its own meta-model PolDot. You can use it directly, or customize it, or build from scratch of your own. PolDot model is based on Zachman framework. On this point the practice of meta-model phase is follows. The users of the suite take 2-3 days of course of suite education. After that the consultants guide the modeling experts to build the meta-model about 10 days.
Eventhough I don’t have a hands on experience on Casewise modelling environment, according to the representation, the modeler can update the meta-model by himself/herself on the run. In Mega (another prominent Enterprise Architecture tool), if you update meta-model, Mega should be re-compiled accordingly for the customized meta-model by the experts of the Mega experts.
Casewise main focus is on Business Process Modelling and Analysis. It has an simulation environment which enables users to see the bottlenecks and effects of a new process or a change or a re-engineering of the process. For the activities and situations, the probability of an event can be defined. This focus of the tool on business processes, might have an impression on the customers for enterprise architecture tool some reluctance to the Casewise. According to my experience, enterprise architects from IT have a tendency to get more features of portfolio managements on all levels of their IT systems.
Other points ;
- What if meta-model need to be updated, after repository is structured a while after?
- TOGAF and Archimate said to supported, but there is no direct support. For instance you cannot say instead of PolDot, start with Archimate model and customized it. If you want to produce TOGAF default documents for different perspectives, you should define that documents manually.
- Casewise uses Oracle and MSSql as data storage.
- BPMN notation can be used to model business processes.
- Casewise modeler flyer states that, “Are the activities we are doing, and the investments we are making in the direct support of our business strategy and objectives?” Since my PhD thesis is highly related to this statement, I inquire how do they answer this question. First glance it is only visualization and linkage of the objective and activities by an experts and unfortunately there is no quantitative approach to validate that model.Ref: Casewise
Download IBM Data Studio Client 4.1 for Red Hat, Suse from ibm site. IBM ID is needed to download. You can create one and use it for further downloads. I recommend Download Manager which is an Java Applet for download since the installation is 1.4 GB and http download might fail during this long download.
From terminal, run
./imLauncherLunix.sh. First install manager will be installed, after that Data Studio installation will start. The script will install the suitable version of the Data Studio for your system. I have 64bit system, I don’t need to define anything for that.
IBM Data Studio is built on Eclipse and
eclipse command should be run. System already have eclipse in path word ordinary eclipse installation. Create a launcher for ease of use for IBM Data Studio.
create a file as follows named as
/home/username/.local/applications/ directory with content as follows.
From that directory drag and drop
ibmds.desktop to the Applications bar.